Wednesday, August 5, 2009

My Life as an Ultra Runner

My day is not measured by how many phone calls i make, or how many deals i close. It's how hard I ran. If I'm dead and keeled over, today was a good day. And as a runner, your only as good as your last run.

I used to hate running. It was boring, monotonous, and inglorious. Yet, one element of running appealed to me.... It was hard! I HURT when I finished running. I needed only one mile to feel sore for the next two days, and I liked that. This should have been a red flag, a warning to stay away, but I didn't. I really love pain. The sweat and emotions let out on each and every run becomes a daily cleansing of all negative energy. It is my version of yoga, except, I don't sit still very well. Instead, I run my ass off. The best part about running, it's quantitative. The more effort you put in the more results you see. Its all about the chase. The hope that once you have captured your goals you will be content. Truth being, most people spend so much time on the final outcome, they completely miss the experience that made the goal so worth while and important in the first place. The Sweat.

The effort you give, day in and day out, really begins to measure you up as a person. Its addicting. Once you prove to yourself you can run 30 miles. Why not 50? And once 50, 100 doesn't seem that incomprehensible. My theory is simple. If you can, Why not?
True, this is irrational, illogical, and ill-advised by almost everyone, but for the select few whom withstood the onslaught and pressure of mediocrity, unadulterated bliss becomes a daily reward. I might be writing this specifically to rationalize my lifestyle, but you only live once. Life takes patience and perseverance, so does running 100 miles. That's my life as an ultra runner.

No comments:

Post a Comment